Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Where did everybody go?
The day of the accident, we had people lining up out the door to come see him. He had visitors in and out of his hospital room every day for the first week.
When he moved to the rehab hospital, it was the same way for a few days, but as the stay lengthened, we found ourselves spending more and more time alone.
I started this blog because I feel alone. I know that our situation is not unique. There are many others out there who are also loving a brain injured spouse, but I don't know many.
He's not the same person that I married, yet I love him more than the day I married him. We no longer communicate the same way. He's not the confident person he used to be. He doesn't think about me in the same way, therefore he treats me differently. He isn't abusive or violent, but he is not as caring toward me as he used to be, either. He says that he loves us, and he does things to show it in his own way, but it is not the same as before and I am having to learn to understand him. I have to constantly retrain the way I think about things and I have to stop comparing life to what it was like before.
People who mean well tell me that it could be so much worse, but for me, this is the worst thing that has ever happened, and this is my reality. I am thankful that it was not worse, but that does not mean that it is not hard. Being thankful is one thing, and living in reality is another. They are two separate things. I know that God is here and He gives me the strength to do this that He has called me to do, but sometimes I wish I had a person who knows what it's like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment