Friday, September 14, 2012

I don't know how to title this one, so you can come up with a good title yourself. :o)

As I mentioned yesterday, the past several weeks have been especially challenging. Actually, that is a dramatic understatement.

Whenever his doctor took him off of the medicine that elevated his blood pressure and put him on two blood pressure medicines, things started going downhill.  He went back to being extremely frustrated and angry every day. We think that one of the blood pressure medicines contributed to his emotional challenges (the doctor in the ER told us this is a side effect for some people). He stopped taking that medicine this week, but the change in him began last Tuesday.

From the day he began taking the second medication until last Tuesday morning, every day it was like walking on pins and needles with him. The boys and I tried everything we knew to keep him from getting upset, but nothing worked. No matter how much we deferred to him or tried to do things to please him, he was just plain grouchy every day. He even showed himself while his brother was here for a long weekend for Labor Day.  I was embarrassed over how he was treating me in front of others, angered at the things he was saying to me in private and becoming more and more discouraged that this was going to be my life for the rest of our lives. However, as hard as he pushed, I kept telling him that I wasn't going anywhere. I felt like he was pushing to see how much I would take before I had enough and left him.  He was really, really mean sometimes, and it was a very long few weeks. I didn't know it would only be a few weeks, though. I thought this was our new "normal."

During this time, I had some trouble with my brake lights, a tire that had a gash and needed changing, my oil needed changing, I burned myself severely on our waffle iron, Ty fell off his bunk bed and bruised his ribs (warranting a trip to the doctor for x-rays), and Cecil's friend died. We also had regular life to deal with, such as school and it's projects for the boys, my work, church commitments (which included a HUGE choir and orchestra worship event for which we had been preparing since May) and the boys began their football season. It was not a good time to be dealing with Cecil's emotional issues, but somehow, I managed. I didn't have a nervous breakdown and I didn't get depressed. I depended on the Lord for help and strength, and He sent the right people at the right time. A mechanic friend of ours repaired the brake lights (and changed the windshield wipers); Wal-Mart changed the tires and the oil; we had money in savings to pay for Ty's emergency trip, the tires and the oil change; and our Sunday School teacher helped me know what to do about all of these problems with the car. While our mechanic friend was repairing the breaks, he gave me some really good advice on who to have change the oil next time, too; someone who will be honest give good advice (not that Wal-Mart didn't, but I'd rather support the smaller businesses if I can). The Lord provided people in His church to BE the church for me and for our family.

During Labor Day weekend, however, Cecil got really upset about something and told me that I was NOT going to the funeral with him. He didn't want to have anything to do with me for several days before that (over a disagreement we had about a shelf), and I was really upset about the situation. Instead of keeping it to myself and just praying about it myself (which I mainly had done throughout these several weeks) I asked for help. I sent an email to his family and mine and also our Sunday School teacher and worship pastor. I swallowed some pride and let some of our biggest challenges be known. It was a humbling experience for me, because I do not like to admit when I can't handle something.

And their prayers were answered almost immediately.

There was an IMMEDIATE change in Cecil's behavior towards me. He woke up Wednesday and has been the same Cecil that I married for a week now. The same Cecil that I fell in love with and who treats me the way he did before the accident. There have been moments when he reverted to his brain-injured rantings, but they lasted very briefly. Yesterday, I thought he would be upset about a situation that arose with his mom, but he didn't even MENTION it. Things haven't been perfect in our lives this past week and a half, (including the fact that he had to go to the ER), but instead of being angry all the time, he get frustrated and then gets over it. He doesn't carry the anger around for days and days at a time. And he isn't as easily angered or frustrated with me or with the boys.

I KNOW that it is because of prayer. Prayer changes things.

Proverbs 21:1
"The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." 

Cecil is the "king" of our home, and I had been trying to make the "king" happy. It's not my job, though. It's God's job. I am thankful that God saw fit to answer the prayers of His people for our family. He didn't have to do this, but He did. He is God, almighty, high, and holy, but He cares about His children, and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment